Sunday, July 17, 2005

Defying Logic Once Again


the grandson, after grandma took one too many pictures- Posted by Picasa

I love my family and extended family. That said, my story begins.

Back when Mr. SB and myself were employed, our work schedules varied, forcing us to take our turns working Saturdays, Sundays and sometimes both. Choosing corresponding vacation weeks was also a nightmare due to the high seniority co-workers in each of our departments. The fact that my husband was frequently forced to work overtime (sometimes) daily, and at one point had him working up to 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, precluded our having time off together period. This was especially bad when his children came out here for their summer visits, because they were bored, bored and more bored.

Mr. SB's family could never understand just why we were unable to attend many of the family commitments at that time. They all had more normal 9-5/Monday-Friday jobs, and lived closer to each other than we did. Their reaction to a turn-down to a party was "Tell them (the company) that you have plans!" No-can-do... our employer was much like the U.S. military except that we were issued helmets, but not guns.

Bringing us to nowadays. We live one hour closer to the family, who have moved even closer to one another not unlike our American pioneers circling up the wagon train. We now have the time to be social... and they don't! Their jobs have become somewhat like ours were by forcing some weekend duty on a few of them. Understanding this, we have given them all an open invitation... come by when you'd like.

We've been getting apologies to the effect that "We can't all get the same day off to come by!" This is Mr. SB's family so I don't want to start something, but who said you all have to visit at once? Are you afraid that once separated we'll break you down and make you tell us some family gossip we're unaware of? Whatever!

Last night, while babysitting my grandson (shown above,) I receive a phone call obviously originating at a party, and it takes the caller almost a full minute to identify themself. Let's just say they were very happy! Surprise- it was the family! They were having a party, and thinking of us!!! Isn't that nice? Too bad they're all so busy they didn't think to invite us.

This is the third family party in recent months we know of, where this has happened.

This really wouldn't bother us, except one of my sister-in-laws gets on the phone and says "We all really want to come up and visit, but can never get the time off!" This defies logic altogether, and is making our idea to visit, and perhaps move up to Washington state much easier to plan!

So hello Greenie and Eclectic, you may be having new neighbors sooner than you think!

22 Comments:

Blogger Susie said...

Family. Can't live with 'em, can't kill 'em. If my ILs didn't read my blog, I could do a whole post of "can you believe they said this to me?" I know.

12:49 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

susie-
Misery loves company! Thanks for sharing the fact that I'm not alone with this.
I'm now trying to decide whether this behavior is ignorant, stupid, or just plain deliberate.
I'm secretly hoping it's deliberate because that's something I can do a little something about.

1:07 PM  
Blogger The Q said...

Your grandson is so incredibly cute. I love his expression "PUH-LEEZE stop with the pictures!"

Gosh, well SierraBella, I would imagine it's gotta be your abrasive personality or your inability to just "let go" and have a little fun.

HA HA! I just crack myself up sometimes.

Anywhoooo in all seriousness, that sucks. I'm not sure what's more appalling the fact that you weren't invited or the fact that they CALLED you while at the party that you weren't invited to!

2:05 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

I couldn't see the pic of the little guy when I was here before. Gosh, what a sweetie face he is.
If I had to guess, I'd say it's deliberate, as soozieq says, it's ONE thing to not invite you, but it's a whole 'nother Oprah to then CALL you from the get-together. Have at 'em!

2:34 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

Thank you soozieq!
Most of this I could ignore, but I really do think it was that phonecall that lit me up!

It's almost like a guy who's calling to try and set up a date and getting a blow-job while he's on the phone with you...

2:34 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

Susie!-
I do believe you're correct!
I'm planning on a way to confront them using both tact and a ballpeen hammer!
I sure love my little guy, thanks for the compliment.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Your grandson is a real cutie.

That said, what unadulterated assholes you have for ILs. I'm so lucky that my family and Ich's family aren't like that. We went to a get-together at his folks' today. Ichabod's birthday, and his younger brother's birthday were last week. Their grandfather is turning 80 this coming week. It's always a no-pressure, we're just cooking out, come and eat and have cake in our beautiful yard. They don't say beautiful, that's my description.

Sorry they're ididots, but they will make the decision to move much easier.

3:07 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

squirl-
Thanks!
Happy Birthday to Ichadod, belated that is!
That family is normally (so I thought) low key and fun to be with.
I'm thinking that our early retirements may be a point of contention.
Mr. SB is the third youngest, and the only to retire so far.
Things were much friendlier when we were working and paying tons of child support though... funny, huh?

3:31 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Bring it on, sister!! And to think I might have settled for just a visit?!

That little punkin is too cute for mere words -- he'd like playing with my littlest eclectic, I'm sure.

As for those incredibly rude in-laws: maybe I should send them a little something for helping my cause. *wink*

3:45 PM  
Blogger Mahala said...

I've got enough issues with my blood relatives, I don't know what I'd do if I had inlaws to deal with!!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

You are NOT alone on this!!
(smiling)

Fact is though one moment I want the visit and the next I don't, the phone gossip....and no one here.. answers. Forget it sounds confusing but true.......in my case with family.

Like Susie said Can't live w/em, can't kill em" She hit it! good. Thanks for visiting too!..I always enjoy your site.

4:20 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

eclectic-
The grandson might be moving to Oregon, making any moving choice of ours much easier.
I'm sure he'd love to play with your little eclectic!
Y'know what you could send the in-laws? A book on manners perhaps?

romani heart-
Sometimes blood relationships are just as difficult as family through marriage, maybe worse since one begins to worry about their own genetic dispositions.

suzie-
It's nice knowing I'm not alone in this... thanks!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

My own sisters (two of them) decided out of the blue to go visit our grandmother in Alabama (about 3 and half hours away) and didn't even tell me they were going until they got back!
They said they didn't bother because they knew how I hated last minute plans. They could have at least given me the chance to say I couldn't go. Thing is with my life the way it is right now, I might have done it!

12:43 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

kat-
That's terrible! You should have been given the option, and as you said, you might have jumped at the chance.
At least it doesn't sound like you're too upset by the whole thing... I tend to hold grudges, not very mature, but nontheless I do.

1:29 PM  
Blogger shana p. said...

First and MOST important, your grandson is soooo cute!

They sound rude - was the person who made the call drunk? I cannot imagine that it was an action made by someone sober.... I always have a hard time trying to figure out if Mr. C's family are rude, or just stupid. Hmmmm... maybe they are both..... If I had a chance to move away from MY inlaws, I would jump at it, especially if you would be close to that cute grandson....

8:53 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

What a cutie.

Your grandson is built. He has more muscle than I do.

9:11 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

kitty-
I so agree- at least extend an invitation!
Much love back at you!

cheesecakey-
Thanks!
Drunk- yes
Rude- very
Stupid- they were stupid to pull this stunt on a very unforgiving me.

hermes-
Thank you.
This 3 year old threw me a perfect spiral pass, through the branches of a tree, from 30' away just the other day.
"Go long Grandma!"
Sheesh, now I'm Dwight Clarke.

8:18 AM  
Blogger shana p. said...

oh, I know ALL about unforgiving ;)

9:31 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

cheesecakey-
I knew there was something I really liked about you!
My real name:
Sierra Unforgiving Beeyatch Bella!

9:39 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

sylvana-
Like I commented earlier- things just weren't this catty until we retired.
Mr. SB is the third of four kids, and the only one to retire so far.
I'm not normally assertive, I sometimes try to "walk a mile in other peoples shoes," a little too hard. In this case Mr. SB doesn't wish to create waves, so I informed him that he can now deal with them unless he gives me permission to let them know how I really feel about this.
They're either dicks or plain stupid.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Joseph said...

Wohoo! Come on up!

11:22 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

greenie!-
I'm working on the husband! Each and every day I'm mentioning how much I want to see WA.
The last time we went camping we took a look-see at local property and bought this place... who knows what could happen?

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home