Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Company IDs and How I Met My Husband

My very first company ID

When I began working for The Telephone Company back when there was only one, we were issued IDs. You can see the low level of importance by the way they affixed my photo all askew.

Over the years, the company became more security conscious, and we were required to clip our IDs to our clothing whenever on company property.

It was a rare occasion when anybody would actually look at this identification, mainly when we were required to visit the San Ramon complex which came to be known as the Death Star.

A co-worker, I'll call her Ronnie (mainly because that was her name) decided to paste a photograph of Alfred E. Newman (from Mad Magazine) over her ID picture.

She'd been wearing this altered ID for quite a while when she was summoned to the Death Star for some class or another. Upon entering, visitors were required to show their ID at the nearest desk and proceed on. The guard glanced at Ronnie's photo ID, never noticing the picture was of a white male, and a famous one at that! Ronnie was an Asian female...

For much of my career, I worked in the central office environment, along with the telephone switching equipment. Most of these buildings had no windows, and if they did, they were bulletproof glass.

Everyone who had a need to access one of these buildings was issued a key.

As the company became more security conscious, they issued new swipe-card style IDs and took away our old keys.

In their infinite wisdom (?), the swipe-cards were not issued to many of our outside techs who occasionally needed access to the central office.

My job as a facility tech was a busy one, to say the least, and this serious ommision of entry required us to add the job of door man to our resumes.

I was extremely aggravated one day, and trying to get some work done at our computer terminal which was about 350 feet from the entrance door, when the buzzer summoned me back to the door (for the umpteenth time that day.)

Now irate, I opened the door to challenge this person to show their ID.

I did happen to notice this guy (I'd never seen before) was tall and very nice looking, but did that appease my anger? No!

A big smile lit up his face, and I could see that horndog look in his eyes. Great, now I'm really pissed.

He says, with that look in his eyes, "Oh, who are you?" (OK, now he's a slimy horndog.)

Sweetheart that I am, I replied "Who the hell are you? I need some ID here!"

I ended up having to assist the horndog with some testing, and he actually listened to the reasons for my stress, and commiserated!

We became friends, and later married.

It's been just over 13 years since we were married, and ever so often he'll look at me and say "Remember... Who the hell are you?"

Oh, I do!

21 Comments:

Blogger Rae Ann said...

That's a great story! I met my husband at a bar. It's not as sleazy as it sounds, but almost. LOL We've been married for 14 years.

12:48 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

rae ann-
Thanks!
You guys met in a bar? Have you blogged that story yet?
If you counted both of my marriages, I've been married 31 years!

12:53 PM  
Blogger The Q said...

GREAT story SB! I love your photo ID. You had such beautiful hair (I love straight hair, obviously I don't have it naturally and have to pay big bucks for it!)

No wonder Mr. SB was hot for you...can't blame the slimy, horndog!

That's so funny you guys called the San Ramon complex the Death Star! Hey, but I heard they had a really nice cafeteria in that complex ;-)

2:21 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

*heh* That's such a great story!! I'm with soozieq: who can blame the poor guy? You're a knock-out!

2:38 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

soozieq-
Well thanks!
After my back surgery my hair has become very wavy... who knew!
I never made it to the Death Star cafeteria- just wanted to get the heck outta there.

eclectic-
Thanks, but you didn't happen to notice how old that picture ID is, did you!
Please don't look!!!

2:47 PM  
Blogger The Q said...

SORRY about that, I hit enter too soon:

I noticed it...I showed it to The Hubs too. I said "Look, she's close to your age. Would you have thought she was "hott" back then?" He GOT UP FROM HIS CHAIR, came over and leaned down to look at my monitor. He wouldn't say, but I'm guessing he was afraid to tell me ;-)

My only comment with his silence was...."well I was only 4 or 5 years old (assuming this was a 1 year badge and it expired in 1976), so it's ok if you thought she was hot. It would NOT have been ok for you to have thought *I* was hot at that time anyway!

3:03 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

soozieq-
I'm actually laughing out loud here!
The ID was from 1972! Guess they were valid for 5 years at the time.
OMG, that would make you unborn!
That would really make "The Hubs" a kinky devil...

3:10 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

1972 was a great year. I was born that year!

What a sweet/funny story. I met my husband on the set of Club Dance almost ten years ago. It used to be on TNN. Yes, we line danced! But he also taught me some couple dancing!

5:16 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

I see you're getting crappy-assed spam comments. They suck.

On a lighter note, you are very cute in that picture. I was not quite out of high school yet when you got that ID, but a lot closer than most of these other bloggers.

Ichabod and I met at work, too. He was the lead on a line that I worked for a while. That was now over 12 years ago. I met my ex when I was 16. He and his friends were riding around town (small town). That one lasted until I was 24. Then I'd had enough of his shit. Oops, I think I've stumbled into TMI on someone else's blog. You may delete this comment if you wish.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

Nice pic! They usually make you look as stupid as you possibly can, so you must have been REALLY HOT!!

SSB and I met in college. He came to my room to see what kind of girl would have a rabid sewer rat as a pet. It was only a little house mouse (a girl on my floor was a chicken-shit exaggerator). But he found out he I made him laugh, and I found out he made me laugh, and we've been together ever since.

6:24 PM  
Blogger jac said...

We all know now how you did look too...and who you are. Nice post. He must be quite a lucky man, do you hear me mister SB?

10:55 PM  
Blogger Nina said...

Oh I just love this story . . . I bet he is glad you were the one who opened the door.

11:03 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

kat-
... making you one year younger than my eldest daughter!
Actually line dancing looks like fun, but have never tried it.

squirl-
I'm really glad we can totally delete the spam, I'm about to take anonymous comments off this blog.

Why would I delete this comment, I love hearing other stories! Didn't know you and Ichabod have been together for so long.

sylvana-
I think youth makes everyone look good!
Now that's an interesting way to meet someone...

jac-
Thanks. Oh he knows, I remind him all the time!

nanina-
Most of the time he's glad I was the one to answer the door...

11:32 AM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

That's a totally hot pic, SB! Woo woo!
I met Jim at 7-Eleven - I was workin', he was buyin' root beer and a newspaper every day. I snagged him with Slurpees. That was in 1987. We still shop there all the time (though it's not a 7-Eleven anymore).

12:45 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

bucky-
Wow, a 7-Eleven hook-up!
I'm thinking you were waggling a hot dog or two his way, to get his undivided attention?
Guess a Slurpee was what worked!

1:06 PM  
Blogger shana p. said...

I love that story! No wonder he had the horndog look.... you're gorgeous!

7:09 PM  
Blogger Jen Spedowfski-Martin said...

Ack...I don't know where my comment went. I posted one and now it isn't showing up.

That was a great story and I think you did work with my Dad. He says he knows Ronnie and he has two names that when I was reading your story to him he said, "She's either________ or ___________." I sent him the link to your blog so he can see who you are (or at least what you looked like in the 70s!)

Like I said before (in the comment that disappeared), "It's a small, small internet afterall!"

8:48 PM  
Blogger The Q said...

Oh NO WAY! Someone knows you from the REAL world & found your blog?

How cool (or not so cool, depending on who it is) is THAT!?!

9:32 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

cheesecakey-
Well thank you!

jen-
I'm sure I met you when you were maybe pre-teen!
The last time your dad and I communicated was about genealogy, and I believe he was building a patio for your mom.
Now I really know it's a small world!
Thanks for coming over and commenting!

soozieq-
Actually I saw jen over at susie's and her name rang a bell, so I went to visit!
Jen's dad was my favorite co-worker in his department. Nice man!

9:19 AM  
Blogger Kristina said...

Lol great story1 thanks for sharing... I met my hubby at work.. I trained him to be my boss's boss's boss if that made sense lol

12:44 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

kristina-
Welcome! (I visited your site too!)

Love your avatar.

All I can say is you must have trained him well... being that you're married and all!

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home