Wednesday, August 03, 2005

The 'Dogz'


Tasha-  Posted by Picasa

We have three dogs living in our house, and making me crazy with their shedding.

First there's Dobie, the three-legged one who actually belongs to my daughter. Having a three-legged dog almost qualifies us for hillbilly status, except Mr. SB and I still have all our teeth. She lost a leg when my daughter's former landlord let her out (without permission) one night, and she was a victim of a hit and run. Dobie is also know around here as Mama-Dog, as she is the mother of our two pups.

Our only male dog was named Lobo at birth, one of three large males in the litter. I intended to keep only the runt, but Lobo was so good-hearted! When the runt would get knocked away at feeding time, Lobo would push his way in, and make sure the little one could eat. He is variously called Bobo, Bo, and affectionately as Big Butt.

The runt of the litter was Tasha, shown above. She's grown to about 75 lbs. now. She's also known as Natasha, Baby Girl and Rocket-Butt! She earned this last nickname when we first moved up here and she encountered her first deer. She chased a deer family (which included a large male) up our driveway and disappeared for at least 15 minutes. As I was resigning myself to the fact she was probably lost, she came running down the hill as if a rocket was attached to her butt... hence the name.

The dogs have learned to ignore our animal visitors. They just watch the deer, foxes, and other wild creatures. They do alert us to visitors of the two-legged variety, but the time we saw that mountain lion they didn't make a sound!

Perhaps we trained them a little too well?

14 Comments:

Blogger The Q said...

Oh SierraBella she's BEEEE-OOO-TIFUL!

I laughed at my monitor about the hillbilly reference! *snicker*snicker* They both "have all their teeth".....Good to know, GOOD TO KNOW

Does having a three legged cat come with the same stigma? *quickly looks in mirror to ensure all frontal teeth are present* PHEW! I ain't no hillbilly either!

1:28 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

gabriel-
We also have 2 feral cats which have adopted us!
My husband is the big dog lover in the family while I'm more the cat person too.

soozieq-
I'd think your three-legged cat doesn't qualify you for hillbilly status since it was a birth defect... The status evolves from some kind of bizarre accident, or maybe Uncle Jim-Bob just got a little too hungry one day!

1:37 PM  
Blogger Mahala said...

I'm owned by three dogs and two cats, I'm more the dog person, my daughter seems to be more of a cat lover. Neither one of us can turn a pair of sad eyes away. Tasha is a beauty :)

2:58 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

romani heart-
Thank you!
I like your way of thinking- "I'm owned by..." Isn't that the truth!
I'm sure you get the same thing- people dumping their unwanted pets off 'in the woods' so they can 'be free.' Domesticated animals don't have a chance unless some kindhearted souls rescue them.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Nina said...

I have two dogs, though they don't shed. I do miss my Border Collie and I forgave her hairyness. She has been gone for two years now. So I have two dogs and a parrot . . . I love all animals.
Tasha sure is beautiful!!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

I love animals. Ichabod is allergic so we don't have any. It's actually easier since we work long days and live in a small, downtown apartment. But I can live vicariously through others' pets.

5:43 PM  
Blogger The Q said...

Just out of curiosity, is Tasha a Rottie or a Dobie? (or neither or both?)

Since the three legged, *almost* making you a Hillbilly status dog is named Dobie, I thought perhaps she was a Dobie. But Tasha looks more like a Rottie?

Do you like all my usage of cutsie "ie" words? I'll even go so far as to say that our Dog is a Mallie, if it makes you *that* much closer to puking :-)

5:50 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Sweet! Doggie pix! (see Soozieq? I used a widdle "ie" wordie, too.) Think she's close to puking yet?

9:40 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

ps. Squirl, you do too have a pet! Well, maybe not exactly a pet, more like a snack or souvenir or something, but a genuine dehydrated frog has to count for something?!

9:42 PM  
Blogger shana p. said...

awwwww.... I want a dog!!!!!!!!!! I would love cats, too if they didn't make me so ill and shut down my lungs...

and yes, I am THRILLED that you guys have all of your teeth :)

10:48 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

Your doggy looks so cute! I only have one dog shedding in my house, but she is a golden retreiver! I used to have a three legged cat. She couldn't bat paper balls around so she would bring them back to you to throw so she could chase them. We didn't train her to do it, she just started on her own.

6:45 AM  
Blogger The Q said...

Very nice Eclectic, how I missed the standard "doggie" to go with "rottie", "dobie" & "mallie", I have.no.idea. I must be slipping on my IE Puke Factor abilities.

Actually, last night I kept calling our dog Moto the Mallie to the point that The Hubs said "WHY are you calling him that? Stop it. It sounds gay"

I just looked at him and said "Don't be a hater"

He shook his head and rolled his eyes....GAWD that man loves me!

7:42 AM  
Blogger Rae Ann said...

My kids want a dog. I want to wait until they are older. I can't care for another living creature right now. When they are all grown and gone I want on of those little dogs you can carry in your purse. Your dogs probably knew that a mountain lion was way out of their league.

8:11 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

nanina-
Tasha thanks you!
A Border Collie? I'll bet you were cleaning day and night!

squirl-
My dad was allergic, so we had no pets growing up. I used to love visiting my friends pets, though.

soozieq-
They're all mutts, a mixture of Doberman, Rott, Queensland Heeler, Aussie Shepherd and Great Pyrenees (sp?)
I'm getting ready to hurl...

eclectic-
Oh, the one with the great abs is also trying to make me puke?
Squirl's dehydrated frog is the perfect no-care pet!

cheesecakey-
I'm thrilled we have all our teeth too! We're not quite ready for hillbilly status yet...

news-
Welcome!
Thanks for the compliment.

kat-
We used to have a Golden Retriever, great breed with kids in the house.
So, another dog and cat lover!

soozieq-
"Don't be a hater"- Good one! Yep, I think he's in love.

rae ann-
So you want a Paris Hilton dog... that's hot! heh heh heh
Yes- I think our dogs really did know about the mountain lion and were laying low!

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home