Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Feeling Lost In The Woods


Nearing sunset-  Posted by Picasa

Are Blogfriends real friends?

My very old dictionary defines friend as:
"One attached to another by esteem, respect and affection; an intimate."

My answer is a resounding yes! I visit my blogfriends almost daily, reading about their lives. Although most of us have created an anonymous visage, the intimate details of our lives bleed over into our postings.

I prefer reading blogs which make me laugh, but sometimes life makes one cry. Being a blogfriend means you want to comment whenever possible, and make a special effort to help friends through hard times.

Sometimes I just don't know what to say.

I recently read a rant, written by a normally upbeat and good author. The rant dealt with blogging, something we can all commiserate with. This author was so angry I couldn't really put together the cause of distress. I went so far as to reread several postings back, along with the attached comments, and am still perplexed. So I said nothing.

Another old dictionary definition of friend is:
"... one of the same nation, party, kin..."

This brings me to mention Sarah. I've seen her comments in the past on other's sites, but we've never met. The site linked is manned by her sisters and significant other, who are keeping Blogworld informed on her medical progress. The last posting indicates she is not doing well.
I've gone over to visit, urged to do so by the wonderful Susie, but again, I don't know what to say.

I want to say "Been there," but that doesn't help. At this point I'd like to say "It's OK to let go" but I'm not sitting there helplessly watching my sister slowly let go of this earth.

All I've been able to say is "I'm sending my love and prayers." It's not enough, but I have no better words of comfort.

So pardon me blogfriends, but I think Sarah's family needs comfort. Instead of visiting my usuals, I'm going to sit here awhile and try to find something of value to say to someone who really needs it.

You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes. --- Winnie The Pooh

Sarah passed away Tuesday, at 4am. Goodbye Sarah, may the next world be kinder to you.

20 Comments:

Blogger SierraBella said...

aj, it's good to hear from you!
And how are you doing now? I keep checking your blog to see if you're recovering- so I'm assuming you're doing better?
Excellent Phil Collins quote.

11:53 AM  
Blogger The Q said...

I NEVER know what to say! In person, I'm somewhat better (but still lack certain social skills) but via email or in the faceless world of the internet, I seriously am at a loss for words.

I'm not religious so I don't pray but I DEFINITELY fill my head with good thoughts and well wishes. But I guess those things don't matter unless the person knows they're there, huh?

1:40 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

soozieq-
I totally know what you mean.
Sometimes only a hug will do, and it's difficult to hug online.

1:53 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

gabriel-
Thanks for the smile!
If we didn't value the connections we make here, I'd guess we'd just close off our comments.
When I first began blogging, I didn't know any better, and didn't include commenting. I kept wondering why nobody commented! Live and learn.

2:11 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Sierrabella, I'm so warmed by your post here today. My heart aches for Sarah and the ones she loves. But I am seriously overwhelmed at the generosity of spirit that spins round n round the blogosphere. What a beautiful soul you have!

2:32 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

eclectic-
Well thank you!
I too am amazed at the warmth people bring and share here.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Nina said...

"The consciousness of loving and being loved brings a warmth and richness to life that nothing else can bring" Oscar Wilde

In reading blogs, I have seen that love, warmth and richness. People are good. What a beautiful post today Sierrabella.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Wonderful post. I seen it so many times, bloggers reaching out when someone is hurting. Like you said it's hard to hug through the internet, but sometimes just letting the person know that he/she is in your thoughts really helps.

I've been over to Sarah's site, too. I hope things go better there.

4:43 PM  
Blogger shana p. said...

I agree on the friends thing... I think it's amazing and wonderful to be able to send out good thoughts and energy to someone that we haven't 'met'.... it's a new form of connection thanks to the internet, but one just as valuable, I think as face to face - just in a different form.

6:21 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

nanina-
Y'know, I just love the wonderful quotations I see on your site, and this one is so appropriate.
Thank you for the compliment!

squirl-
Thanks!
Haven't been over to Sarah's site yet today, but I too am hoping things begin to look up.

cheesecakey-
I'm also amazed at the power of blogging. Rather than just a screen-name, we get a sense of the real person, making communicating with each other much more personal.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

I went to Sarah's site last and saw what was written there. It was short, but didn't leave much to the imagination. Doesn't sound promising at all.

After reading that and commenting I just sat there and cried. I wondered if that was really right, crying over someone I hadn't ever met. But then, I knew, of course it was. The blogworld is peopled by real people whether we've met them or not. As much as I love the posts that make me laugh, there are those out there with so much pain that I can't help but cry. Nothing more to say right now...

10:37 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

squirl-
I went over to visit just a few minutes ago. Saw your kind words too.
Greenie had a terrific comment. He said all the things I couldn't think to write.
I'm sitting here, trying to think of something upbeat to post, and failing miserably.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Ah, I'm so bad with sincere words in unthinkable situations...in person or in writing.

But I do count my blog friends, absolutely, as "real" friends. I think I know a lot of you better via your blogs than I do a lot of people I see in person every day.

11:35 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

bucky-
Again I was over at Sarah's, trying to come up with something. Saw your lovely comment there.
I think we let our guard down a little easier here, than in our day to day real lives.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

WOW. I really needed this post today. I was feeling all lonely, and now I realize I'm not so alone after all!
Thanks!

11:53 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

kat-
Are you feeling lonely because your daughter's heading off to school?
You're definitely not alone, as you can see!

12:08 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

I just came over from your comment on my last post about Sarah. I am crying a lot now, reading what you've said here. Just wanted to say I've been here. And thank you, Linda, my friend.

2:33 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

susie-
This post was the most difficult thing I've ever written.
I'm glad you were able to see it before it disappeared under the more inane posts to follow.
Thank you, my friend, for the support you showed Sarah and her family and for leading myself and others to try and lend some comfort.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Rae Ann said...

My condolences to Sarah's family. I know it's hard sometimes to know what to say, but thoughts and prayers are always welcome and appreciated. I know what you mean about being confused by surprising rants by certain people. What do you do when you're the subject of it? It seems to be a huge misunderstanding. I have a lot going on right now and can't really worry too much about some things, but I do not like when someone's view of me is warped (for lack of a better word right now, I'm very tired from yesterday's ordeal). And I DO think of my blog friends as real friends that I connect with on a deeper level, even if we never meet in person.

Sierrabella, I think you are wonderful and I'm so very glad our paths have crossed (or that our bumper boats bumped).

8:07 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

rae ann-
I'm with you about the rants, and especially when you might be involved. The rant I was thinking of mentioned some of the subject matter I'd written in a posting, so it may or may not have been something I'd written.

How is your father doing now? I'll have to drop by and see if you've had time to update us all!

Bumper boats, huh? Good simile.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home