Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Money's Just Flyin' Out My Butt

The K.C. Pumps Truck

The past week and a half or so we'd been noticing a marked decrease in water pressure, and had set up an appointment with our local "pump guy."

We carefully conserved water, as the next available appointment was one week from today.

Saturday, the pump pressure decreased to zero, which meant we scrambled and shut down both the pump and the water heater. Of course this occured in the middle of a shower...

We don't drink the well water, although we could, so we were OK for drinking water.

Full out showers could wait (sort of) since we can sponge-bathe.

I went out and bought paper plates, plastic utensils, and foods we could BBQ, since we can't wash the dishes. I bought ice, because there's no water to the ice-maker.

The houseplants had just been watered, and we had a recent rain shower.

So far, so good.

Except we can't flush the toilets!

I called K.C. yesterday, and he was here today thank goodness.

The upside is we'll be back in business tomorrow, or Thursday at the latest. The downside is this will cost about $2,500.

When we first purchased this home, we were elated to find there would be no monthly water bill. Yeah, right!

13 Comments:

Blogger The Q said...

Dang! $2,500!?!? So when you flush the toilet you hear* "WHOOOOSH" <--that would be the money flying out of your butt!

*if you stop by my blog today, you'll see that I ask this very question* :-)

Well I'm glad you didn't have to wait too many days before you were able to flush your toilet, but I'm sorry it cost you so much for that privelege!

1:30 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

soozieq-
I just dropped by you blog (again!)

The water isn't back yet, so I had to drop a full bottle of drinkable water ($2.79!) down the toilet. The most expensive flush I've ever made.

xtsey- yeah, I was in extasy all right!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Nina said...

Wow . . . that is an expensive flush. I am thinking you all have a toilet thing going here.
I hope you get fix up soon!

3:25 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

That really sucks. Not being able to flush the toilet is a drag.

5:49 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

EEeeeeek! Although, I guess it's better than monkeys flying out....! My mom lives up by Colorado Springs at 9200 ft. elevation, and occasionally the pump and/or the cistern has a problem. The water thing seems so tame until there's a problem... and then its dollars, baby! So sorry you have to deal with that!!

6:09 PM  
Blogger Joseph said...

Um...you live out in the country right? Can't you just go outside? Out house style? I don't think Paris Hilton pays that much to flush.

XOXOXOXO

9:33 PM  
Blogger Rae Ann said...

Wow! That's expensive. Sorry you've had to deal with that. We never realize how important water is until it's hard to get.

6:36 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

nanina-
I'm just glad it's fixable!

indiaiynke-
We have a well with a submersible pump- 400 + feet deep.

We thought it was only a pressure problem... next time we'll take your advise.

Yes, we have a septic system too.

squirl-
Amen!

Thank goodness we have 2 bathrooms, his and hers!

eclectic-
Yep, it's far better than monkeys flying out...

greenie, Hi!
We sort of thought about digging a pit, but the ground's awfully hard this time of year!

We're now considering putting a composting toilet in the garage for events like this.

rae ann-
So true!

9:41 AM  
Blogger jac said...

$2.79 ???? for a single flushing. OMG !!
I also suggest the greenthump way of doing it...Indian style.
Sorry about all these, Sierra!

10:43 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

jac-
Well, they're working on installing the new pump as I type.

We've only been flushing when totally necessary if-you-know-what-I-mean!

12:37 PM  
Blogger shana p. said...

eclectic stole my monkey line.....

that sucks.... and what a whopper of a repair bill....

6:05 PM  
Blogger Redwood Recluse said...

WE had to go three weeks without water before. That was a common occurance not long ago, but I think is managed now.
It's hard to be your own water company!

9:13 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

cheesecakey-
Gotta watch eclectic, she's fast on the comments!

The bill finally totaled $3,277 since we had a monitor installed which automatically shuts off the pump if the water level goes too low or there's an electrical surge.

redwood recluse-
Wow, three weeks? I don't know how you managed, especially with having your children living there!

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home