Monday, October 10, 2005

The Professor Who Taught Too Well

The rapt student-

Within a year or two after this photo was taken, one of my best friends moved away from next door and a new neighbor moved in.

My mother was quite impressed with this man, who I'll call Dr. Smith (simply because that was his name.)

He taught oceanography at our local Jr. College, was recently divorced, and quiet (at first.)

Dr. Smith was young and reasonably good looking. I'm pretty sure the Dr. affixed to his name didn't hurt his chances with the ladies.

He began holding study classes at his home, mostly populated by his young female students.

One abnormally sunny day in our foggy neighborhood seemed to beckon my little brother to stay inside and play in his room. This was a boy who'd would normally play outdoors in any weather.

I walked into his room to find him peeking out the window which overlooked Dr. Smith's side yard. He shushed me, piquing my interest, so of course I went to the window.

Dr. Smith was ummmm tutoring one of his young students in a way which would ensure her a most excellent grade!

We ran and told Mom, after studying this phenomenon a few more minutes.

I don't remember whether she (or Dad) had a talk with him, but I do remember the shade in that room was firmly tacked down for quite a long time afterwards.

But if you looked real close you could see that shade became a little stretched looking, right about the height of my little brother's nose.

10 Comments:

Blogger eclectic said...

OMG!!! The grading couch! Ick!!! That's too funny with your little brother, though. Can't blame him for being curious... but the professor? Yeah, I can blame him plenty.

2:07 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

eclectic-
Too funny- "The grading couch!"
It seems the professor had to have known he had an awfully young audience... part of his fetish perhaps?

2:29 PM  
Blogger The Q said...

That's a cool picture of your brother...I love the water droplets and his obviously sincere smile.

GAH! Your story reminds me of my high school Chemistry professor. He used to be a professor at UC Berkeley but was caught, ummmm, "tutoring" a female student in probably a very similar manner as Dr. Smith. He was fired and ended up teaching high school instead. To say this man was bitter would have been a HUGE understatement. Who he blamed, other them himself, I have *NO* idea but we all suffered the brunt of it.

2:33 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

soozieq-
Thanks! I cropped myself out of the shot.
It surely doesn't sound like a good idea to move a troubled man like that down to teaching even younger girls.
There's little worse than a bitter teacher.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

Well, if he was youngish and good looking, the student was probably as into the tutoring as he was!

4:11 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

What a jerk! I hate it when someone takes advantage of his/her position (pun intended) to mess with people that way.

And if you look at it, um maybe sideways, my word verification reminds me of Soozieq. I know it's a stretch, but I have a good imagination.

ssyezkq

5:51 PM  
Blogger The Q said...

Squirl it's possible that I left a comment somewhere after drinking and actually signed it that way...so it might not be that far off!

8:55 PM  
Blogger Rae Ann said...

Wow, that's terrible. I can't believe the things people will do with their blinds open.

6:09 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

kat-
From what I saw she didn't appear to be minding his tutoring at all!

jac-
OK then!

squirl-
On the other hand, the student may have been working her charms on this young, good looking and recently divorced man, hoping to become Mrs. Dr. Smith!

Well my word verification is tubbpsy... a psych class Dr. Smith might have taught from his hot tub???

soozieq-
You did have a party at your house the other day... hmmmm.

rae ann-
I didn't make myself clear (I hate when I'm stupid,) the extracurricular activities were going on outside in the side yard!

indiaiynke-
I've always thought I had a rather boring life, but when you look back it's amazing what little stories there are to tell.
Thank you!

11:20 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

kitty-
You're such a brainiac I don't even question your spellings, and my lone dictionary is so old there's much missing- so who'd know?
Isn't a woman just a man with internal plumbing and a bigger heart?

*Sitting here waiting for a blog attack...

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home