Saturday, October 08, 2005

Some er Interesting Neighbors!

My son at the Fremont house-

When my husband and I bought our first home together we'd each survived a divorce, and therefore had about half our assets intact.

We both worked in Fremont California, which is somewhat between Oakland and San Jose, and decided to buy a home there. We chose a small home in an area called Niles, which as you can see is nestled against some hills, affording us a little bit of country in suburbia.

One day, my little criminal daughter and her blackmailing friend (look here) told me about the great new neighbors who were moving in! We'll just call them The Ho's, and you'll see just why.

The Ho's home was modest, as was the rest of the neighborhood, yet they had much nicer cars. You never saw them outside, ever!

Soon after their move, the Ho's began paying the little criminal girls $20. apiece to pull their little dogs around the block in that red wagon mentioned in the other posting.

When Halloween arrived, the Ho's were the hit of the neighborhood. Although they didn't appear to be home, they'd left the porch light on, and several cases of 1 lb. boxes of chocolate covered macadamia nuts outside!

We soon learned just how ahem Mr. and Mrs. Ho were able to be so generous.

The local police began a major crackdown on our local Massage Parlour, and when the case was about to go to trial, the Ho's moved out in the middle of the night.

Goodbye $20. dog pulls and goodbye chocolate covered macadamia nuts.

If you're trick-or-treating this year and find cases of quality candies on someone's doorstep, you'd better act quick, because they'll most likely be moving on before next Halloween.

18 Comments:

Blogger SierraBella said...

indiaiynke-
Hello and welcome!
I first became suspicious at the $20. dog pulls in the wagon, and the Mercedes and Beamer in a street full of Hondas and pickup trucks.
Oh, absolutely feel free to add me to your favorites list, I'm very honored!

4:19 PM  
Blogger jac said...

Did you say Sierra chocolate ???

5:04 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

The Ho's sound, um, interesting.

5:47 PM  
Blogger The Q said...

I love, LOVE, LOVE knowing about the places that people write about AND I love your stories.

Well this year, we're giving out FULL size Hershey bars for Halloween. No, The Hubs and I are not rubbing people down in the back of the trophy shop, but I had to buy about fifteen million FULL size candy bars in hopes of finding the "old fashion" paper and foil wrapped ones. Do you remember when Hershey's uses to be wrapped in TWO layers? Well now they're in one, dark brown, ugly plastic wrapping and that will NOT work for my "Baby Announcement" paper wrappers that I made on the computer. I had to improvise.

So now the "excess" (by "excess" I mean ALL) will be handed out to the lucky kids in our neighborhood. No bite size candies here....no illegal activities either....just stupid changes to how candy bars are wrapped that make me feel REALLY old!

6:18 PM  
Blogger shana p. said...

Oh my god.... we had neighbors like these when we lived in our townhouse... my son had to go down the long driveway in between the townhouses to meet the school bus and one morning (6:45am) found the neighbor in his car getting a 'Lewinsky' if you know what I mean...
but they never gave out any candy....

1:28 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

indiaiynke-
Ah yes, good candy tends to make one forget all else!
You are too kind.

jac-
I'll bet the chocolates you find are much different than ours.
As I've gotten older, I much prefer the darker chocolates, and won't even touch milk chocolate!

squirl-
The Ho's were definitely flying below the radar.
At least they were quiet, unlike your neighbors who party all night!

soozieq-
Well thank you! Most of my life has been spent in the Bay Area, so that's where my stories come from.

I do remember the old-school Hershey bars! Your trick-or-treaters are really 'gonna' love you guys!!!

cheesecakey-
Sounds like your old neighbors were giving out a different kind of candy!
Seeing that kind of thing can affect a young mind- hope you were able to help your son deal with it.

11:12 AM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Dirty deeds, done dirt cheap... in fact, don't pay us, we'll pay YOU!! Yep... something definitely wrong in that picture...! But I love to be "the house" that gives out the "good stuff" at Halloween, and Mr. E drives a beemer, and I did pay li'l Luke down the street for mowing the lawn a couple times... Does this mean I'm suspect? Aaaack!!

8:31 PM  
Blogger shana p. said...

he didn't really 'get it'... it was only his description of the incident that led me to figure out what they were doing.... it may come back to him later, though

9:46 PM  
Blogger Rae Ann said...

I wonder if some of our neighbors think I'm a drug dealer or something because I have a corvette and stuff?

6:05 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

kitty-
I'm guessing the Ho's were manufacturing a sort of relief which can't be found in a bottle?

eclectic-
Well now, you are beginning to sound a little suspicious!
Being the Ho's paid $40. total for a doggie ride, I'd guess they'd pay about $150. for mowing their lawn... did you pay that much, and if so- I'm heading up to mow your lawn!

cheesecakey-
That's awfully distressing!

rae ann-
Well that would have shot your Supreme Court nomination all to hell, huh?
The Ho's were trying to keep a low profile. A Corvette is just too noticable! Unless you subscribe to the hiding in plain sight theory...

11:26 AM  
Blogger Nina said...

LOL . . . Wow $40 for pulling their dogs in a wagon. I would have told the kids, you stay home I am pulling the wagon today. :)

12:10 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

nanina-
Y'know, I was thinking the same thing!

12:38 PM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

Geez, why couldn't I have had neighbors like that when I was growing up?

1:12 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

sylvana-
I'm with you!
This subject of neighbors inspired my next post!

1:44 PM  
Blogger Rae Ann said...

"Unless you subscribe to the hiding in plain sight theory..."

LOL, that's funny!

6:11 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

rae ann-
Well thank-you-verra-much!

11:06 AM  
Blogger shana p. said...

yeah, it was horrible.... we thought we wouldn't be able to move for a long time and I will be forever greatful that we are not living there anymore!

2:03 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

cheesecakey-
I'm glad you all live in a better place... not counting the wildfire of course!

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home