Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Sierrabella, Girl Archaeologist!


August 1907 Edition - Posted by Picasa

This old edition of National Geographic belonged to my grandfather. This particular issue was likely given to him upon the arrival of his first birthday.

Upon my 9th birthday, he and my grandmother gave me a card in which I was advised my gift was a one year subscription to this magazine. To be quite honest, I wasn't thrilled at that time.

Shortly thereafter, I received a mailing from National Geographic's Headquarters welcoming me to their family! Most important was the wording, something to the effect that I was a Member of the Society, with all the rights and privileges associated!

I was an Archaeologist! What a wonderful gift this had become!

The first issue received had a major report about the French in Viet Nam (before America became involved as I remember.) Although I had no interest in this particular subject, I studied each and every article... because I was going to need to know this stuff!

I began checking out books from the library on archaeology and anthropology.

By the time I was 10 I was ready, so I approached my parents and told them I would miss them, but National Geographic needed me!

They were very kind, and didn't even laugh when I showed them my most valued treasure which was 'the letter from the Society.'

My parents explained the truth of the matter, and this reality rivaled the Santa Claus conspiracy!

Afterward, I continued my interest in these topics, and developed other interests such as psychology and architecture.

By the time I was 11, I'd read some Freud, decided he had issues of his own, and headed elsewhere in my search for career options.

That's when I decided to become a stewardess!

11 Comments:

Blogger eclectic said...

So, how's the whole flight attendant thing in retrospect? ;) That's a great story, SB!

2:04 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

eclectic-
Perhaps I should have continued the story...

By the time I was 13, I'd flown enough to realize stewardessing (is that even a word?) was nothing more than glamorized waitressing.

Soon after that I discovered boys!

But no, I never did become a stewardess.

2:29 PM  
Blogger The Q said...

Heh, pretty funny. I remember being quite disillusioned as a child about a number of things.

"What do you mean Mom? It says right here YOU WON and Ed McMahon wouldn't lie, right?"

And at least your parents didn't laugh like mine did when I came to them at the impressionable age of 5 and stated that I must have come from an olive seed (pit).

I had been told by family members that I had "such a beautiful olive complexion" and when I asked where babies came from I was told "a seed". So it was obvious that I came from an Olive Seed. My parents STILL laugh at this one.

Yah HA HA, that was almost 30 years ago, GET OVER IT PEOPLE, IT'S NOT FUNNY ANYMORE!

5:43 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

soozieq-
You're right, it isn't funny, but it is pretty doggone cute!

I'm guessing this was the beginning of my pessimism about life in general...

5:54 PM  
Blogger shana p. said...

what a great post! thank you for reminding me how much I love National Geographic.... I also wanted to be a stewardess... and a truck driver...and a mobster's girlfriend (aim high, right?)!

6:16 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

I always loved psychology. Even started out to get the degree. Ended up with a stupid business degree. But, yes I agree, Freud had issues. I liked what Jung had to say, though.

6:59 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Nina said...

Oh I love this story Sierrabella. I am glad that your parents didn't laugh at you, but what a huge disappointment that must have been.

8:47 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

cheesecakey-
Thanks!
What a diverse child you were!
You're the first person I know to admit wanting to be a mobster's girlfriend.

squirl-
My brother began college majoring in psychology, then switching to journalism.
My Jr. college ended when my professor (Philosophy of Religion) gave the female student who did a belly dance as her final assignment an A.
The fact that I was a single working mother curtailed my efforts as well.

kat-
I know what you mean!
Now that I'm retired, I can sample my various interests, and perhaps try for a second career... although I doubt it. I'm having too much fun right now.

rae ann-
I think the key was being told I was smart. All that positivity led me to believe it.

nanina-
It did teach me a lesson about reading between the lines!

aj-
I think you would have been a wonderful stew... until you were fired for booting someone out in mid-air!

10:33 AM  
Blogger jac said...

I will look you up in mid air, I fly 9 times a year. I can't miss you, Can I ?

6:50 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

jac-
I never did become a stewardess, I ended up putting in 30 years with our local telephone company as a facilities technician.
Instead of serving up drinks and lousy meals, I served up dial tone.

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home