Tuesday, April 26, 2005

The Car That Tried To Kill Me


The Demon Car- Posted by Hello
I used to own this little Saturn.
It was a great commute car during the time I was working in the San Francisco Bay Area, but wasn't quite what I needed up here.
Sure it was fun, ripping through all 5 gears while zipping around the sometimes hairpin curves here in the foothills.
The car was used less and less, due to the more useful truck, until its little battery finally died. We didn't even notice for quite some months!
About two years ago we hired an arborist to de-mistletoe some oak trees, and had to move the Saturn out of the way.
By that time, the battery wouldn't even accept a jump start, so we decided to push it out from under the trees. After all- it's a little car, right?
Problem #1. It was on a very slight hill, and wanted to head off into the back 40!
My husband decides to hook up our garden tractor and pull it while I sit and steer. Still no good.
Husband reties the rope, and the new plan is I'm to push and steer, while he drives the tractor.
Hooray- it's moving!
Now it's rolling faster...
And faster...
And hubby has stopped the machine between a maple tree and the house.
I'm running, and steering, and yelling, and he shuts off the motor!
Hero that I am, I attempt to dive across the driver's seat and pull the E-brake. After all, I don't want the car to smash the tree, the house, or even my husband.
I reach the brake, after losing grip for a moment and dragging my butt through some gravel. I seriously wrenched my entire right side, while my ankle took the next phase of gravel torture.
But I'd stopped the car from hitting anything, or anyone!
Mr. SierraBella finally turns around and is surprised to see me laying on the drive, crying hysterically.
He thinks, perhaps, I've been run over.
I stagger to my feet, still crying, and finally explain what happened.
"You should have let it hit me" was his response. Not thank you, not you're my hero...
After telling this tale to friends and family, the concensus is that I really should have let it hit him!
You know, I'd do it again.
But I do have one piece of advise: Do not ever attempt to push a car, no matter how small, wearing a sundress and no underwear!

7 Comments:

Blogger Squirl said...

You saved your husband - and in a dress and no underwear. Honey, you're a hero in my book, I don't care what he says. I used to have a Saturn coupe, 1996. I never tried to put it, though.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

How about - I never tried to PUSH it, though. Gotta quit blogging when I'm sober, dang!

2:26 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

squirl-
And I thought Bucky was the wild child! That's so wrong...
*ha ha ha*
I'm compiling a list of the best phrases I've some across, and "Gotta quit blogging when I'm sober, dang!" will be on the list!

3:00 PM  
Blogger Redwood Recluse said...

I read your story to my family, we all thought it was hilarious. (although scary I'm sure)

3:04 PM  
Blogger OldRoses said...

Okay, I gotta ask. Why no underwear?

11:36 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

redwood recluse-
You read the post to your family, what an incredible compliment, thank you!

oldroses-
I hate tan lines, and had been sunbathing just prior to the attempted car push.
I like both your sites and will be back, and back...

9:57 AM  
Blogger The Q said...

Wow, you sunbathe nude and save men from rolling cars.

I am *SO* glad I decided to pour through your archives!!!

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home