Wednesday, April 20, 2005

The Postman Doesn't Ring Twice


Mr. SierraBella and the dogs- Posted by Hello
Our mailbox is down by the road, about 1/4 mile from the house. Not far, but a pretty doggone steep walk.
After having two knee surgeries on the same knee, I rarely take this journey on foot.
As I've mentioned before, we have no garbage pickup up here. We have what is called a transfer station about 20 miles away, which is open several days a week. Therefore we generally load up the truck about every three weeks and head down the hill to do this dirty deed.
We recycle, but due to this rural method of waste removal immediately noticed the incredible amount of junk mail, especially catalogs, we received. One of the first things I did was register with the Direct Marketing Association to (hopefully) stop this barrage of unwanted garbage.
Next step was to begin emailing and calling the various catalogs to get removed from their mailing lists. In the past three years I have successfully stopped 53 catalogs. At least half needed a reminder or two before ending their mailings.
I just received another new catalog several days ago. Guess I'd better make the bitch-call... ahem make that #54!

7 Comments:

Blogger Squirl said...

I have a dumpster behind my apartment so the junk mail doesn't pile up as rapidly. It would be hard for me to just sign up for no junk mail because I do like the catalogs. I also give money to bleeding-heart charities, mostly nature and animal stuff. They provide all of my return address labels. :-) Plenty of junk mail from them.

5:10 PM  
Blogger shana p. said...

wow, you guys sure are waaaay out there! I am greatful I have the trash bins in the backyard, before it was a walk to the dumpster and I thought THAT was bad...It looks gorgeous, but I don't know how you do it with the trash that far away....

6:45 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

squirl-
Yeah, I didn't notice the huge amount of junk mail (when I lived in the burbs) since it went out weekly with the normal garbage service. I miss my Victoria Secret catalogs... but they were coming about two per week!

cheesecakey-
We have a large barn-like garage where we stash the trash between visits to the transfer station. This is just one on the reasons rural people all seem to have at least one truck.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

I'm feeling silly. I always somehow pick your family tree site (which is great by the way- I love old photos)to look at when I get to your profile and have never clicked on this one. I'm blonde that way. I will have to put this in my toolbar with the rest of my frequent sites. So you'll be hearing more from me from now on.

11:26 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

sylvana-
Actually I've been thinking of combining the two sites, but they're so different...
Been working over two hours now trying to insert code so I can add links (within my posts), and having no luck whatsoever! At least I haven't destroyed my blogsite, yet.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Redwood Recluse said...

Have you thought about burn piles in the winter on a non windy day.When we moved to our place there was alot of trash left behind by others and we burned a majority of it. You can at least rid of paper trash that way.
We have a compost pile and used to have a pig to eat left overs.
I think many of the land owners out here have dumpsites on thier own property.We don't , but know of others that do.

12:36 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

Welcome back redwood recluse!
We were left with several burn piles when we bought this place. Bought a wood chipper, and have almost finished with those piles.
We compost also, and the chips from the wood chipping project have really held down the weeds in the areas we'd placed them.
We've thought about getting goats, but would like to travel a bit before getting tied down.
Luckily there's usually just the two of us, so there's not too much garbage to deal with.

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home