Saturday, April 23, 2005

Just Dreaming On A Rainy Day


Looking out the master bedroom slider- Posted by Hello
Out and about in 'blogworld' I've noticed recently many posters are either moving, or renovating.
I don't plan on moving anytime soon, but I desperately need to do something about my master bedroom.
This photo alone contains two items on the agenda, maybe three-
We need new carpeting! I don't hate the colors, but this carpet is so early 1980s.
I want french doors! There's a lovely view, and I believe new doors would perk it up a bit.
I'd love to either refinish the deck, or maybe rebuild it using Trex (sp?) or another of the faux woods. I'm talking some serious $$$ with this idea, so it'll have to wait.
What's not shown in the picture is some ugly blonde paneling along one entire wall. I'm not talking about real wood paneling, I'm talking about that 1970s style garbage.
My husband is reluctant to remove it, he's afraid of what might not be behind it... like drywall.
In the 3 years we've lived here, we have had the entire kitchen remodeled, as well as had all the floors tiled (except the bedroom and office.)
During those renovations we lived in the bedroom. Since there's an adjoining bath (with a jacuzzi) we were fine with this. The fridge was moved (both times) to the deck, so our only worry was bears. Neither of us relished the idea of coming around the corner (for a late night refreshment) and coming face to face with a black bear.
As long as I'm dreaming of these changes, I'd love to have a mini-fridge too!
That would sure make the next project more comfortable... We also want to remodel the front bath.

6 Comments:

Blogger Redwood Recluse said...

Great view, bad carpet!I don't blame you for wanting a change. You should see some of the parts of my house. The original dirty old wood floor is still in my hall .
We had redwood walls but no sheetrock. The amount of work was immense to pull it all off and put in sheetrock.
We're facing doing the library now.We have three rooms left that need it.

5:07 PM  
Blogger shana p. said...

I love french doors - when I get a minute I will put up some pictures of the back of our house - we have 3 sets. I think they would be gorgeous in front of the deck.

11:21 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

redwood recluse-
You're one of the posters I was thinking about when I wrote this. I usually end up living in a house about 7 years, making upgrades and then selling. I should have been a gypsy! We're probably staying in this one.

cheesecakey-
I'm going to have a look at your french door pictures. Three sets? You're soooooo lucky!

11:36 AM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

When I saw this picture I was thinking, "What a fantastic view! Shame about the carpeting though."
You could take a section of the paneling off in a discrete area (behind the door) to see what lurks beneath.

If you just want to finish over the top, you can either drywall over it- which it doesn't sound like you're up for- OR you can get some drywall compound and plaster over the top. Could do one of those Italian plaster finishes so it looks old world. I own a couple of rental properties and don't have a lot of cash for renovations, but I like them to look real nice. I have done this in two rooms so far. The compound sticks just fine to the paneling (you can sand first, but I only did that for one room- same paneling- and both are holding up just fine). I didn't put it on very thick though, so I can't say what would happen if you did (<1/4"). If it is the pressed "groove" paneling, you won't need a very thick layer anyway to hide the grooves. If you want the wall smooth, take a damp sponge to the sharp edges after it has set up a bit- you can even do this after it has dried, really, it just takes more effort. Tape the seams of the paneling with fiber tape- not paper tape. You might even want to use a special compound on these areas that I use for cracking plaster. It comes pre-mixed in tubs and has some polycrap in it. ~ $7 a tub and works FABULOUSLY! 4 years and no returning cracks! Make sure that the paneling is firmly attached to the wall before plastering, especially at the seams.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

I'm not sure if this helps you with your links in posts but I can give you the code that I use. I will have to chop it up or it will just show up as a link.
First use a <
then add "a href" (without the "") then a "=" (without the "")
then a "
then your web url with a " and a > at the end
then you can put in words that you want people to click on to get to the site
then you will put in a <
and a /
and an a
and finally a >
Hope that helps and isn't too confusing!

3:35 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

sylvana-
WOW, thanks for both the home repair and linking tips!
You know which of the tips I'll be trying first! (The one where I can sit on my butt and type...)
I love the Italian plaster finishes. Thanks again!

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home