Sunday, April 17, 2005

At Least Somebody Came By For A Visit


Lone deer in front of the garage- Posted by Hello
Allow me to preface this story with the fact that I've been suffering from both allergies and neck problems for the past week, and been self medicating with both NyQuil, Advil, and most anything I can get my hands on-
My sister-in-law called real early yesterday morning and left a voicemail informing us that she, her husband and two other family members were running late, and they wouldn't be here until noon.
I happened across this message while waiting for my morning coffee to appear, around 9:15, and was flabbergasted. I didn't remember making any plans whatsoever!
Could I have actually held a conversation with someone while under the effects of the previously mentioned medications and not remembered?
Horribly embarassed, I woke my husband, gulped some coffee and roared into motion. I showered, swept, dusted, vacuumed and tidied up the bathrooms.
Since most of our guests choose to spend the night, I made up the guest bed as well.
Noon came and went.
1pm, 2pm, 3pm also came and went.
Now I have one sister, and if she were this late I wouldn't be surprised. She's been to our home 5 or 6 times, and gets lost every time! One Christmas, she called late and lost as usual. She didn't know where she was, but she did say it was snowing... it wasn't snowing here! The last time we got together she called en route to inform us she'd left extremely early (for once.) We were elated! She called again, about 15 minutes after she should have arrived and said "we're almost there, which Yosemite exit do I take?" We live somewhat between Yosemite and Lake Tahoe... sister was only 2 hours late that time.
Anyway, about 3:30 I fired off an email to sister-in-law, asking where they were (and mentioning we'd been expecting her special deviled eggs as well.)
It turned out sister-in-law has been sick, stressed, and had meant to dial the other SierraBella and Mr. Sierrabella in their lives. (Who would think with such an uncommon name this could happen?)
All I can say is at least my house is clean...

5 Comments:

Blogger Squirl said...

All that emergency house cleaning for nothing. :-) Oh well, at least you can enjoy it.

The only wildlife I see from my home is an occasional sparrow or mourning dove. I live right downtown. I make sure I do get out for rides so I can see the deer, birds, woodchuck, etc.

7:49 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

Hi squirl-
I also love watching birds, but need to buy a guide so I can identify them.
I recently saw several turkey vultures sitting in the dead oak tree, which was amazing (to me.)
We also have wild turkeys running about. Last Monday while driving up our (steep) road, I came across one who decided to run straight up the road in front of me! What was scary was the fact it was outrunning me!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

We get both turkey vultures and wild turkeys in the more rural areas around here. I like Peterson's guide for birds. Of course, I have Birds of the East so you'll need Birds of the West. Those are his drawings/paintings. That's good for lots of details. Audobon does a good one with actual photos. I also have one that's specifically for Michigan. You'll find plenty of good books to choose from at your local bookstore. Let me know what you find. :-)

5:05 PM  
Blogger shana p. said...

gotta hand it to those sister in law's! :)

6:43 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

squirl-
I'll keep your suggestions in mind, thanks!

cheesecakey-
Normally my SIL doesn't do things like this, but she does email tons of those "cutesy" jokes and whatnot where you're supposed to forward on to 10 friends- like chain letters. I hate those!

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home