Tuesday, June 28, 2005

The Tree From Hell


Manzanita- Posted by Hello
A friend who is retiring in a few years and bought property not too far from us as the crow flies recently emailed and mentioned he's looking to buy and plant some manzanita on his property this fall.
I immediately emailed back, and sent some photos asking him if this was what he was talking about... this tree from hell.
We have tons of manzanita on our property. It mostly seems to take on a bushy shape if left on its own.
The tree shown above has been lightly pruned, showing a little of the beautiful bark it's known for. We have several trees up the driveway which have been heavily pruned and look fine.
The problem, other than being prolific, is that they're a fire hazard.
In fact, our next project is the removal of all the bushy manzanita growing on the perimeter of the property, and going back a way into the forest.
Our friend has been invited to bring a backhoe and take all the manzanita he desires, but I doubt he takes us up on the offer!

8 Comments:

Blogger Squirl said...

That reminds me of the Tree of Heaven (or tree from hell as it's also known). I don't know if you get those out there or not. They grow like weeds. We usually have enough rainfall around here that large fires aren't a problem, though.

11:51 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

squirl-
I Googled your Tree of Heaven and see it's extremely invasive!
I haven't seen any here, yet.
Wildfires are prevalent up here and especially scary since there's only one road leading out of the area.
We had several huge fires nearby last year... scary stuff!

12:07 PM  
Blogger jac said...

This is a strange one to me.
Does it have seeds or lovely flowers ?

2:40 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

jac-
It has small pink flowers in the spring which are pretty.
It also gets small red berries.

7:44 AM  
Blogger jac said...

Does it have thorns too ?

8:16 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

jac-
No thorns.
I hate pruning them as they have this indescribable nasty aroma.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Redwood Recluse said...

sierraballa,
Our nemisis is Scottish broom. It takes over everything. It lines our road that goes to the Barters and I was taking a walk and heard popping everywhere. It was loud and there was no explanation for the sound until I looked closely and realized that the legume like pods were shooting everywhere like a strange music. They can shoot up to 18 feet.

9:52 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

redwood recluse-
We have Scottish Broom too. I didn't know about the seed pods.

I was drying some Wisteria pods on a windowsill, and one night thought I heard gunshots.
I ducked, and spotted the pods had exploded and landed on the floor!

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home