Wednesday, June 22, 2005

A True Story


I swear! Posted by Hello
Around 1991, my soon to be husband and myself decided to rent a home together with our children while we began to shop for a house to purchase.
Depending on visitation schedules, we normally had between one and five kids living with us at a time, so we needed a fairly large home.
Luckily, we found a rental in the city of Fremont, California, which suited our needs.
This was an older building, built around the 1950s, but not what I consider an old house.
The weekend before moving day, the children were all with their other parents, so we had the opportunity to begin bringing a few items over.
While putting some things away in the master bedroom, we suddenly heard heavy footsteps on the roof, right above our heads. We weren't expecting any work to be done, so husband-to-be headed out the back while I went out the front to see who was up there. No-one was on the roof, and there were no ladders or work trucks nearby!
We went back to work, talking about this potential ghost,when it happened again. Once again we head for outside, in a much bigger hurry... and still nothing and no-one was on the roof.
For a while, these footsteps seemed to be contained to above the master bedroom, and over my eldest daughter's room. If there's one person a spirit should not haunt it's this girl, because she won't put up with it! She actually seemed more irritated than scared by the whole thing.
Like most families, we liked to gather together in the living room to watch TV in the evenings, and you guessed it- the ghost began walking above there!
Now I've heard the odd noises houses can make, creaks, groans and whatnot- but this sounded exactly like a large man in workboots going about his business. The strides could actually be followed by us witnesses below.
Finally one evening we heard the footsteps, then there was an ominous quiet. My soon to be husband says "Hon..."
I heard two of the kids audibly gasp, and turned my head to the left just in time to see the microwave levitated about a foot above it's stand! It moved about four feet away, and dropped to the floor with a crash.
The microwave had been placed partly blocking the view out the kitchen window, something I had to do due to size constraints.
Not wanting to further scare the children, I commented that the ghost must not have liked the view blocked, and I picked the appliance off the floor and put it on the kitchen counter.
After that we'd still hear the footsteps on the roof, but as far as I know the spirit never came back inside. Shortly thereafter we purchased a home and moved.
My husband was a telephone installer/repairman, still working in the area when he was called to install a phone in that house. It had been turned into a sort of half-way house, with about five men residing there.
The customer remarked to my husband that he definitely wasn't planning to stay there long... and my husband didn't have to ask why.

16 Comments:

Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Oh, MAN, your story trumps mine, yes it does!

Didn't want that window blocked, eh? Wonder what that was all about...

Excellent tale! I feel all tingly and vaguely creepy...

7:25 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

Oh no it doesn't!
I'll have to tell the tale of this house sometime, but it's more of a feeling of something rather than tangible.

7:52 PM  
Blogger shana p. said...

oooh, did you ever find out what happened or who lived in the house?

9:58 PM  
Blogger CV said...

Holy Smokes! Awesome story.

I'm scared shitless of ghosts and the supernatural. I doubt I'd have even moved into that house to begin with.

Did you guys call a priest?

10:13 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Whoa, that's a really good (read creepy) story. I would have been scared but I think I would have been mad about that ghost dropping my appliances, too.

For me, the house that Bucky wrote about was weird feelings. As you said, nothing tangible. Thanks for sharing this one. We'll need to hear about your current place now.

3:23 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

deeplypurple-
Hi, and welcome!
I believe I was so busy trying to downplay the events to the kids that I didn't have the energy to be really afraid.

cheesecakey-
We felt the ghost must have been a former owner who was possesive of the house, but can't verify this.

chris v.-
No priests were called. Maybe if we'd bought the house... the owner offered to sell once he realized we were looking. Too pricey for the work required, not to mention the ghost.

squirl-
Creepy is right! We had some summer rains while renting that house, and the roof began leaking. Mr. SB popped his head into the attic crawlspace looking for the leak and said it was freezing and his hair was standing on end. We ended up buying a tarp and stapling to the roof in the middle of the storm rather than go into that crawlspace.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Joseph said...

Great story and it's not even Halloween. That would be a great one to tell around the campfire.

9:19 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

greenie-
I was going to post it at Halloween, but been so busy working on the property I have no time to think!
The recent showers have brought up the starthistle, which is a scary story in itself.

9:49 AM  
Blogger jac said...

Wow ! That was a real creepy story you have here. Thers are incidents that gives me no clues at all to the orgin of the sounds that I happen to hear in my life being in a woodoo country. Thank God that it didn't follow you to your new house.

8:15 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

jac-
I'd be so much more afraid of voodoo (than a mere haunting!)
Voodoo is intentional, and that's not a good thing!!!

7:55 AM  
Blogger The Q said...

I have the chills just reading this....I lived in a haunted house as a child (for a few years) and to this day, I remember everything VIVIDLY!

Awesome story/description, thanks for sharing!

10:01 AM  
Blogger jac said...

I can give you free advice on voodoo, when I am not scared of ghosts.

12:00 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

soozieq-
Hi!
I'm so amazed at all the others who've had these experiences!
Thanks for the compliment!!!

jac-
Actually, my brother and I were fooling around with voodoo (as children) making an effigy... and our parents (not the intended victims) got sick.
I've tried to comment on your site twice today and each time my computer gets knocked offline... hmmmmm!

1:51 PM  
Blogger jac said...

Now you are a witness to my powers, let the world know, a sort of free advertising, thanks for visiting.

2:34 AM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

I can't believe that I never left a comment on this! I could have sworn that I did. Maybe the ghost hid it somewhere.

8:13 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

jac-
Perhaps you should create another site (aside from your poetry) about voodoo!
Guess we shouldn't tempt fate, though.

sylvana-
Yep, I bet the ghost did hide it! I'm loving these ghost postings I've been reading lately!

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home