Saturday, May 27, 2006

It's A Dog's Life!

Tasha on the deck-

A week and a half ago I celebrated the anniversary of 4 years of retirement!


Squirl commented today, wishing me a happy Memorial Day weekend, but wondering whether it's that big of a deal now that I'm retired...

Yes, it still is something I look forward to!

During my working years, I was scheduled more than my fair share of holidays. One year, I recall working Mother's Day, Easter, Memorial Day and The Fourth of July. I held my breath when the Christmas schedule went up, but wasn't too surprised to see my name.

I got even during the final 5 months of employment. By that time I had 5 full weeks vacation and 6 compensating days available. As my husband and I were in the process of getting our S.F. Bay Area home ready for sale and moving up here to the foothills, I decided to schedule a full vacation week each month until I was gone for good. This meant I'd work about three weeks and then go on vacation again... effectively dropping me from any weekend duty as well as Easter and Mother's Day.

Now the summertime holidays are spent with the scanner running, keeping abreast of any local fires usually set by campers, partiers or people attempting to clear their properties.

Today we're not even bothering with listening. It's extremely overcast, and the warmest it's been is 60 degrees. There's a possibility of thunderstorms too.

There's something to be said for a nice quiet holiday!

Hope everyone is having a fun, but safe weekend.

12 Comments:

Blogger The Q said...

Awww, what a cutie!

Well I hope you enjoy our nice quiet holiday SierraBella (and Mr. SierraBella too!)

We're still at the store but we hope to start our holiday weekend in an hour or two (or three or four). GAH!

4:39 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

Hubs is in on a two week break. Other than a trip out for a movie tonight, we are staying home and hiding from holiday traffic today and tomorrow. Tuesday after it gets quiet, we are going to the mountains for the day. :)

8:07 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

soozieq-
Since you have to be at work, I hope it's productive. It seems like most everybody leaves town for the weekend.
Hope your niece is feeling better!

kat-
I'm all for hiding out on the long weekends.
Things should be waaaay quieter by Tuesday!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Yes, we get the full three-day weekend. We spent Friday through this morning at Ichabod's folks' house. They went up to Traverse city and we dog-sat.

Now we're enjoying ? the ninety-plus weather here in the city.

Enjoy!

5:17 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

squirl-
Yeah, I was over at your site yesterday, will have to check back for any new photos!
We're doing some wood chipping early this morning, before it warms up. I really know how to enjoy a holiday weekend, huh?

8:24 AM  
Blogger Rae Ann said...

I hope you had a great holiday! Ours was pretty quiet here at home. It's supposed to get into the low 90s today so 60 sounds really nice!

10:02 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

I only have up a picture of a blue iris right now. Maybe tonight I'll get the picture of Ichabod and the nephews setting up their tents. And a few gratuitous Annie shots. :)

12:25 PM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

I dream of retirement in the woods!

Scanners were really big where I grew up, but people there mostly used them as spying devices and macabre entertainment.

We gardened. Except yesterday was too hot, so we went plant shopping!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Nina said...

Tasha is beautiful . . . happy 4 years of retirement!

8:40 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

Rae Ann-
Our temps are creeping up- we're back in the 80s and heading up to the 90s in a couple of days. So much for springtime!

Squirl-
I'm going to swing by your place today... blue iris is one of my favorites. I have maybe 75 of them planted about. (Very deer resistant.)
Annie pictures too? She's so sweet!

Sylvana-
Plant shopping is a favorite passtime of mine. I can spend hours browsing!
I'm finally learning to propagate and save money. I even got a new rose going! (A first for me.)

Nina-
Well I think Mateo is a doll!
I'm still loving this retirement stuff...

10:36 AM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

I am finally reaping the benefits of propogating and dividing. Having a lot of the same plant really helps unify the garden.

8:39 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

Sylvana-
How true!
I've been propagating rosemary like crazy. I never knew how easy that one was!

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home