Saturday, July 02, 2005

5 Things I Miss About My Childhood


Me and my brother at Christmas- Posted by Picasa

I was tagged by soozieq several days ago, so here goes: 5 Things I Miss About My Childhood

Christmas and other holidays.
Christmas was the biggest of the holidays in my childhood. My birthday comes nine days before, so I've always felt this was my holiday.
The letter to Santa, the tree, the pretty cards and wrap, looking out into the night for Santa on Christmas Eve. Sometimes we'd receive gifts from our grandparents in the mail, but sometimes we flew "Back East" to visit!

Visiting the grandparents.
We moved to California, from Virginia, when I was eight. From that time on we were only able to see them twice a year. Flying back to Maryland and New York was a big treat, something we happily anticipated.
Each grandma cooked differently, and we always had real butter at Grandma Warren's house!
Aunts, uncles and cousins would drop in to visit. We'd go sightseeing!
In the summer we'd swim at Frock's pool in Westminster Maryland, or in Lake Ontario when we were in Rochester. We loved catching fireflies in the warm summer evenings, making lamps made with old mayonnaise jars.
The winters were snowy, something I dearly missed. Old Mrs. Jerew across the street from grandmother Nicht had The Christmas House! Each and every room was decorated to the max... including the bathrooms!

Playing outside all day long.
Weekends and summer we were allowed to play with our friends between breakfast and dinner (supper until we moved to California.) We played at the schoolground unfettered by teachers and the dreaded yard-duty mothers. We built tree forts, took hikes, and sometimes just sat on a curb and talked. Sometimes, not frequently, someone was allowed to host a slumber party!

Sunday drives.
The worst thing my dad could call a person was a Sunday Driver, yet that was something the family loved to do. We'd drive the short distance to San Francisco sometimes, or we might travel through Hillsborough (a ritzy area) looking for Bing Crosby's house. Usually we didn't stop anywhere, this was an inexpensive form of entertainment... but sometimes we'd get to stop for hamburgers at Flings in Millbrae. My next younger brother loved to hide his fries, wait until I was done with my meal, then pull them out of hiding just to torture me!

Picnics and camping.
My parents tried to surprise us, but when mom began making potato salad on a Friday evening after dinner we knew a picnic was coming. We'd usually head to a park, especially one with a playground. Once we took the hibachi to a Pescadero Beach to cook steaks. Big mistake! The winds kicked up and we had sand in our food.
Camping was another favorite. Mom made most of the food ahead of time and dad BBQ'd, giving mom a well deserved break. She'd usually make cupcakes, and always brought along the makings for S'mores. The evening campfire was my favorite part. Spooky stories, card games, those S'mores and a sleeping bag waiting was heaven to me. That's probably why I decided to move to the woods... I'm camping 24/7 (with all the amenities.)

I was supposed to tag others and get them to post on this topic, but I don't feel comfortable doing so. I would love to read other postings on this topic, so if you are interested, please give it a go!

15 Comments:

Blogger shana p. said...

That is a gorgeous picture.... it looks like it could be in a magazine, or on a greeting card.

11:03 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

cheesecakey-
I believe you caught the picture before I posted the story!
I love this photo of my brother and me. My dad had a darkroom and developed these older pictures himself.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Hermes said...

I agree with Cheesecakey. That photo is so... Norman Rockwell.

12:12 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

hermes-
Well, my dad's name was Norman so there you go!

12:15 PM  
Blogger The Q said...

I too saw the picture before you posted the story. I feel like I'm "stalking" you too much this weekend so I didn't post a comment :-)

Thanks for posting your memories and I'm sorry I "tagged" you. I initially wasn't going to do it either. Personally I didn't think anyone would take me up on the offer or they'd think "WHO???" tagged me ~ being that I'm VERY new on the Blogger Block!

But I am glad you went along and truly enjoyed it (being that I know the places you spoke of, made it even more enjoyable!)

Hopefully some of your readers WILL follow up and post their memories though.

12:45 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

soozieq-
NO-NO-NO, I'm honored to be tagged, especially with such a fun subject matter!
I guess you're hiding from the heat today? We're listening to the scanner to hear what craziness is going on, and to see if any wildfires are happening locally.
I'm glad to finally find someone in blogworld who's familiar with the Bay Area!
Gee, for being new you have quite a readership!

1:07 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Those memories are so neat. We only moved from Kentucky to Michigan but ended up visiting grandparents only once a year. That was summer and my dad felt obligated to be on the phone to work almost every day anyway. I'm glad there are a few of us bloggers out here on a holiday weekend. I just got comments from Susie and Mr Bloggerific. Thought no one would be around until Tuesday with the holiday and all. Have a great one!

6:02 PM  
Blogger The Q said...

We actually went for a drive again after we closed up the shop. It was 99 degrees where we live and luckily a little cooler where we headed.

Oh the heat is ugly and the fires uglier. Last night when I was out back playing with The Dog, I could smell smoke and STRONG! I just assumed it was from pre-4th fireworks but The Hubs said that he heard there was a 500 acre fire not too far from here (It was near Clayton ~ Marsh Creek ~ by no means threatening to us, but still!)

The Hubs still gets VERY antsy with fires just from having the cabin ~ The Darby Fire more recently and the Old Gulch Fire before that. He actually drove from the Bay Area (San Leandro) to Arnold AFTER work one night, just to hose down the cabin during the Old Gulch Fire! So whenever there are fires even remotely close he watches the news avidly!

Hope all is well your way and continues to stay that way!

7:15 PM  
Blogger shana p. said...

yup, you're right....

I would participate, but I only have one thing: spending summers in Switzerland on my uncle's farm.... the rest, well it isn't missed ;)

11:33 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

squirl-
I've always preferred to spend holiday weekends at home. Too much traffic and crowds in general.
Heck, I'm on a permanent vacation now so I can go places mid-week!

soozieq-
I read about the Clayton fire!
The short time we've lived up here we've seen about 4 major fires. When we can smell smoke and then see the CDF aircraft with water buckets... well that's scary!

cheesecakey-
That's the reason I hesitate to tag people (usually.)
I'd hate to (unknowingly) open up some bad memories.

8:18 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

janice-
I made a pact with myself a very long time ago, not to forget both the wonderment and sensitivity of childhood. Therefore I reflect quite a bit, and pass on the silly stories of growing up to my children and grandchild.
I visited your site, tried to place a comment, which wasn't allowed (at that time.)
Your friend who was lied to will most likely see the lie once she realizes the person who said it is the way he is. Your soon-to-be-ex-SIL will show his true nature to your friend, they always do. Just wait it out.

10:41 AM  
Blogger jac said...

How do you keep that photographs intact, amazing !!!

6:23 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

jac-
This photo, and many others were in a large box my mother left for me after she passed away.
The photo is probably circa 1959-1960, not old considering the pictures I posted on my Sierrabella site which were from the 1860s and up.

8:11 AM  
Blogger dre said...

ooooooo! LOVE this kind of picture. you paint pictures with words too, which intensifies the picture.

9:38 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

dredom man-
Well thank you! I try...

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home