Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Busy, busy, busy!

ongoing project...

No, I haven't dropped off the face of the earth! Thank you all for checking in!!!

Since my last post, I've both hired out and been a do-it-yourselfer with various home projects.

I've painted, chainsawed, chipped branches and leveled out ground for an above ground pool.

Hired out some plumbing, heating, and electrical work... bringing me to my latest pet peeve project, shown above.

I never liked the entry to my house. Since the actual front door entrance is around the back of the house, the first door encountered is the dining room slider. Originally, one would walk from the gravel driveway straight onto the deck and then take an educated guess as to whether you were in the right place.

There was a small pergola lightly shading the area, which gave me an idea. Why not create an entry-patio? Good idea, bad choice of contractor...

The work this guy has done is great. He built aggregate curbing where there was previously railroad ties. He sanded and stained the entire deck, replacing boards as needed. He built the steps shown above, with lighting beneath. He added to the existing pergola, giving much more shade. He poured the patio too.

This work was completed 5 weeks ago, today.

The trouble is that he has more work to do... clean off the aggregate patio, build one more large section of curbing for a flower bed, and build steps down to the patio from the driveway.

He's been warned he needs to come and finish. Several times.

He must intend to return, as he's left lots of tools and his portable cement mixer. I'm tired of waiting.

I piled some of his tools in the mixer. I have several bags of concrete mix. I'm thinking about mixing a load of cement, with his tools inside the mixer, and letting the whole thing dry.

That'll larn him!!!

19 Comments:

Blogger Mahala said...

SHE'S ALIVE!!!

10:57 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

Yes, Mahala, I'm still quite alive and lively too!
I'm taking the day off (pretty much) and blogging. It's been quite a while.

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, you made my day by visiting, and then by posting! :)

You are quite productive and creative, there, missy. Good for you. I don't think I ever hear of a contractor who doesn't have trouble with the finishing. What is up with that?

I never knew until very recently what a pergola was, but then I heard Martha Stewart talking about hers last week. You're very fashionable, there, and yours looks great.

12:27 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

Hi there Susie!
I've been lucky enough to run into some really good contractors of late, but this guy's a real wiener.
I've always called pergolas overhangs, unless they were freestanding... then I didn't know just what to call them.

12:52 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Oh Hi!!! It's so nice to see you out and about, and then here too!! Grrrrrrrr on the contractor -- hope he finishes soon. I love getting those projects done. It gives me such a great feeling of accomplishment. I can't wait to see photos of the finished pergola entry!!

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I know a hobbling Malinois that might be able to chase the contractor back to your premises. As long as the contractor runs REALLY slow. But from the sounds of his 5 week lag in work, it would appear that he moves at a snail's pace.

Glad to see you around (at my blog, on Flickr as well as here).

Missed you!

3:07 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

It's nice seeing (?) you again Eclectic!
I'll definitely post photos-
They'll either show the finished product... or the cement mixer filled with encrusted tools!

Missed you too, SoozieQ!
As far as I'm concerned, Moto can eat the contractor should he want to.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

I, too, was excited to see your comment on my latest post. Thanks for updating us, even though the contractors being a butt-hole!

Love you! :-)

11:02 PM  
Blogger Rae Ann said...

Glad to see you back blogging! You sure have been busy, and it looks great. I like your idea about his tools in the mixer.

5:17 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

Squirl, I see you're multi-tasking even on vacation! Hope you and Ichabod are having a great time?
Love right back atcha!

Thanks Rae Ann!
I'm soooooo tempted to do the tools in the mixer thing that it's not even funny! Of course I'd sort out and keep the best tools for myself.

7:28 AM  
Blogger dre said...

Welcome back! You inspire me to blog my living room painting adventure.

7:53 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

Hi Dredom Man!
I'll have to come visit and see if you've blogged your painting adventure!
You should do a tour of your new place...

5:20 PM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

I love home improvement. It's so invigorating to make such major changes in ones environment.

Glad to see you back!

10:20 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

I hope things are going well for you. It took me five posts, but I finally got up all the pictures from my Alaska trip.

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thinking of you, honey, and thought I'd let you know. xxx

7:49 PM  
Blogger jac said...

Alive and kicking. How happy I am to see you sierra.

Won't you come back ?

7:35 AM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Hello friend! Tomorrow's October 1st, so I wanted to check on your pergola now that summer's over. Although, where you live, summer might last a lot longer I guess. Anyway, thinking about you. Sending a warm hug.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Hey, sweetie. Just wanted to stop by and say hi! Thinking of you.

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

More thinking of you.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home